Second night back Jay and I decided to make dinner for my mother, step father, brother & sister in law. We chose to make Cowboy Stew and served it with french bread and home made corn bread. Mind you this is not the healthiest thing to eat, but since we don’t make it all the time and it’s chilly here in the Bay Area…. Totes worth it! Look below for the recipe – it comfortably fed 6 people.
Cowboy Stew Recipe
- (1.5) lb ground beef or turkey – I added more because I like it meaty!
- (1) can whole kernel corn – Drained
- (1) can Italian tomatoes – diced
- (1) can tomatoes with green chilies
- (1) can tomato sauce
- (2) cans whole baby potatoes – drained
- (1) can rancher style beans
- (1) can white kidney beans
- (2) cloves garlic – chopped
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese – your choice of flavor, we did medium cheddar (although we usually go with sharp)
- Cook meat
- open all cans while meat is cooking and drain the appropriate ones
- once the meat is cooked, pour into crock pot
- pour ALL other ingredients into crock pot and stir until well mixed
- cook on HIGH for 6 – 8 hours, stirring occasionally
When it’s done you can garnish how ever you like, the sour cream and shredded cheese (I stayed away from both) were a hit and the jalapenos gave it a nice kick. We also paired the meal with a bottle of red wine – Capitulo
Spent a day in The City. I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life and every time I am in San Francisco, I can’t help but always play tourist anyways with everything we do even if I’ve already done it dozens of times. .
- Jay had never been to Lombard Street before (also known as Crooked Street) so we took the cable car after getting off the Powell Bart Station to just there! I love riding the cable car every chance I get – Standing on the side only! No sitting! Got to Lombard Street, walked down, took pictures and walked over to the Piers and Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Walked along the waterfront and ended up at Alioto’s (suggestion from my Step Father) - One of San Francisco’s seafood fine dining restaurants. Had amazing Clam Chowder… Jay had the Caesar with Bay Shrimp. Next time we’re going to opt for the street vendors on the crab sandwiches and a sourdough bowl clam chowder (He’ll eat the bread bowl for me!)
- Walked over to the William Stout Architectural Books which is a complete heaven and playground for any architecture junkie! We first heard of it on our 3rd year studio trip from our professor, Kevin. This place is a must if you ever visit! The place is bigger than you think! The first time I ever went I was able to go into the basement area where they store tons and tons of books… This time around it was under construction so no go. The next book store we’ll go to is for used architectural books is Green Apple Books on Clement Street
- Wondered over to the San Francisco Ferry Building for a some latte’s at Blue Bottle and some pistachio and vanilla macarons from Miette! AMAZEBALLS! (both places were also suggestions from my Step Father – He’s got a pretty good palette). For those of you who have never been to the Ferry Building it is also a San Francisco must go. It’s a daily marketplace for amazing eats, organic and fresh foods, little trinkets to buy too
- Wanted to go ice skating in Union Square but all the time slots were sold out until late! Boo! So instead we took our picture with the pretty Macy’s tree (we’ve started collection photographs of ourselves with the big Christmas Trees everywhere we go) and headed back to Milpitas to have dinner at my favorite sushi spot of all time, Sen Dai
- Check back later when we get back from Reno/Yerington as we are going to hit up Alcatraz Island!
Cable car ride to Lombard St
Jay’s first time on Lombard!
Thank you Asian lady for taking our picture
From Pier 47, I think.
Alioto’s clam chowder and Caesar salad with bay shrimp
Smelly Sea Lions!
William Stout Architectural Book Store
Union Square SF.
Christmas in the Park – Downtown San Jose
Went to Christmas in the Park (a downtown San Jose, CA tradition) with my brother, father, step sister, step brother, step mother, and aunt. Such a great time with the family… All it brings is smiles and happiness to children and adults. We indulged in hot chocolate topped with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, colorful sprinkles, a mini candy cane and a cherry. Needless to say it was damn delicious. I love going every year when I come home for the holidays!
- Our favourite tree was the Minions Tree !!!!
Cousin Lift & Hoop Session
Had a nice Filipino lunch with adobo, pancit, and fried chicken (there was rice too but I managed to stay away from it!) made by my step mother. It was amazing as I only have Filipino food when I am home because I can’t stand it in restaurants. My cousins and I were craving ice cream, but there was no Thrifty Chocolate Malt Crunch. Zoomed over to the nearest Rite Aid and it was a 2/$6 deal. Grabbed 4. Got back to the house and 2 other cousins had gone to the store as well not knowing we were going to grab them and also did the 2/$6 deal and grabbed 4. Ice cream heaven! After all the scoops on scoops on scoops of mint chocolate and chocolate malt crunch that I had I was feeling a bit sluggish. The boys took me to 24 Hour Super Sport as a guest and we got fancy at the gym. Had a GREAT bicep and back work out. Felt alive. It was also nice seeing them work out too. I was also scolded to make sure my spandex we kept at an appropriate length. The joy of overprotected boys in the family… wouldn’t trade ‘em for anything!
Edward’s Dirty Thirty
My brother and sister in law decided to hold a friends celebration for his 30th birthday. Great turn out as the usually suspects all came! It’s always nice to get to hang out with all the friends I have been able to meet through my brother and sister in law. They are like older siblings to me… Especially the boys since they have basically watched me grow up. Anyways, we got served the Italian delicacy Little Caesars, the Mexican delite of Taco Bravo beef tacos, straight from the islands spam musubi, La Victoria’s Orange Sauce AAAAANNNNNDDDDD Nothing Bundt Cake! AMAZEBALLS! The top layer was white chocolate raspberry and bottom was red velvet